Tuesday 4 December 2012

Update: Perrin Technique



Last November(?), I started a treatment for my MECFS. The doctor was fantastic (Dr Perrin). He explained the treatment and the potential cause for my illness so well and in so much detail I genuinely believed he has a grasp on this whole thing. He does not parade around that he has some magical cure, it's a long and gruelling process to even feel better (with plenty of lows in between the highs) but it is something more than nothing. And a whole lot of nothing is what we've all had so far.

Dr Perrin has a book out, which I borrowed from my local library before I started treatment; I'm not one to rush into things and believe it's going to fix me, so I was incredibly anxious and non believing about it. After reading the book, as did my boyfriend and also my housemate. I got given their verdicts and then I decided to go for the treatment.

Whilst I was on this treatment, I felt horrid. I was told that because of how it works (probably a post for another day, running on limited energy!) I am going to feel a lot worse as my body gets rid of a ton of crap, before feeling better. I was bed bound, I was sick, my stomach was horrid to me, my energy was lower than low... and then I started feeling better. Whether this coincided with it getting towards spring and then summer, I'm unsure... but it felt like it was working for me.

Unfortunately we moved at the end of February to somewhere where it made it really difficult to commute to see any of the therapists for me... so I had to give it up. Needless to say, I've gotten worse since giving it up.

It is a hard therapy to go through and requires a lot of effort and energy on your part, which made it very difficult during the 'lows'. But if I had the money and the support that the therapists gave me, I'd certainly try it again without a doubt. There are some things in the pipeworks that may mean I can start up the treatment again... so fingers crossed. I'd love for in two years for me to be able to do things like a normal girl of my age, with just a minor set back of needing to rest more than others!

There was one thing that really stuck in my head about Dr Perrin; and that was his not yet published research and findings that he showed me. His researched showed that people around my level of disability with MECFS (you do a chart/questionnaire in your first sessions) that after a year people have significantly improved, to the point they were leading a relatively normal life with less pain and rest so they didn't overwork themselves and after 2 years, not cured, but better still. I think it was something like 90%(ish I can't remember exactly) of people going through his treatment had improved. So fingers crossed for all those who're going through it right now.

I'm usually rather dubious about treatment; I refused outright the LTP because I knew it wouldn't work for me, I didn't see it as a treatment, I saw it as mind games to make you think you were okay. & since speaking to some people and their family and friends, I truely think it is just hypnosis at it's best. But unfortunately, it's not just a mental attitude to this illness that makes it as bad as it is, it IS a physical problem. So mind games will not work.

Anyway, point to this is, I've tried the Perrin Technique, is began working for me, I had to stop, but can't wait to go back because it seemed so promising!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cat!

    When are you going to continue the Perrin technique? Keep blogging love to read more updates

    ~Luna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, it depends on finances and when/where we move house. We were hoping to move a little closer to one of the therapy clinic places, but that wont be happening as we had thought. So we'll have to wait and see unfortunately! :(

      X

      Delete